Thursday, June 10, 2010

Recovery, yea sure, tell that to my patients!
Las Vegas has been hit with the worst recession in the nation. Unemployment is in the double digits, the visitor count is at a ten year low, construction has been nonexistent for 2 years. Driving to work this morning, I noticed that the usual billboards that in the past displayed enormous “ busted” women as an inducement to have augmentation surgery by cosmetic surgeons were replaced by bankruptcy attorneys. There were a plethora of “ discount buffets” advertisements at the local hotels and the bail bondsman were everywhere! What does this have to do with podiatry you ask? Simple. People are out of work, Insurance coverage has dried up for many and Colbra coverage is just not affordable. As many of my readers know, I left a very successful practice in the northeast 20 years ago to become Director of a Community Health Care Center in Las Vegas. I had the opportunity to oversee the operation of a clinic that treated over 35,000 patient visit’s a year. Of these visits 95% represented uninsured, Medicaid, homeless and AIDS patients all. If this type of experience does not instill humility nothing will! I have seen the return of this type of despair and hopelessness again during this recession. Patients are waiting weeks if not months longer then they should to receive foot care. Patients whose Ingrown nails could have been treated with just antibiotics now must undergo extensive surgeries to save their feet. Many have no to little health care coverage. Some have a local HMO who refuses to see patients for weeks because they say “ we are backlogged” and you just have a “ toe” problem. The current situation has become troubling, but, it also has given me the opportunity to once again pay back the community for the success it has given me. We are now (until this economic mess ends) are discounting ALL our fees to uninsured and to those whose plans we do not accept to the lowest fees we can possible accept. Examples: Permanent correction of ingrown nails (includes the visit, surgical procedure and follow up) $150.00. Custom orthotics (depending on type) for $199.00. These fees I feel are fair and more importantly needed during the worst economic times many of us have and ever will suffer from. I may not be able to make my car payment as easy nor my house payments, but I will be able to put my head on the pillow at night and know that I am making a difference to my patients, their families and all who are in need of foot health care.
Wishing you all a safe, healthy and joyful summer,
Dr. Ted

No comments: